Friday, May 29, 2020

Foolproof Plan

So they ran off? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Lily. They were scared of the spider.

But they eat spiders, says Gaius.

Not this spider, says Lily. It was Terence's crab.

Me, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I'm sorry.

Not your fault, says Gaius. But why don't you stay with us in our hide, then they won't see you.

Okay, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

What will I do? asks Terence.

Go back to where you last saw the emu-wrens, and stay quiet, says Gaius. If you see one, give me a signal.

Yes, says Terence. What's the signal?

How about squeesquee? asks Lily. That's one of their sounds, so it won't scare them.

It might BE them, says Terence.

If it is, says Gaius, and we hear it, that will also suffice for a signal.

A foolproof plan.

Terence and Lily go off, through the proper gap this time.

Gaius and Kierkegaard settle down.

The sun warms their cosy bird hide.

They soon become drowsy.

Gaius's phone rings. Softly, because he has turned down his ring tone.

Alexander-Red-Hook sees that Gaius has not stirred.

Why not make herself useful?

Hello. This is Gaius's phone, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Who the dickens are you? asks Vello.

Crab-cum-parrot-spider-no, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Ah! One of Gaius's creatures, says Vello. At least you are capable of speech. Where is he?

Snoozing in a bird hide, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Ahah! says Vello. Just as I hoped. And where is this bird hide?

Near a swamp in Stipiturus Conservation Park at the end of Beare Road just out of Mount Compass, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

I say, says Vello. Impressive.

I keep my eyes open, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Why do you want to know?

I'm thinking of taking a short holiday in the country, says Vello. But I don't know anyone in the country. Then I thought of Gaius. He's usually pottering about looking for birds, snakes or spiders. It's just what I need, to blow away the cobwebs. Tell him I'll drop by this evening. Is he camping?

In a manner of speaking, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

So he has no equipment, says Vello. Typical. I'll bring a small tent.

Lovely, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Don't forget to tell him, says Vello. See you shortly, crab-spider-no.

He left out cum-parrot, thinks Alexander-Red-Hook.

Squeesquee!

The signal! Gaius's eyes snap open.

His leg jerks, kicking Kierkegaard awake.


No comments: