Monday, May 25, 2020

Ins And Outs Of Bird Watch

Terence plonks the container of water down on the grass.

More water slops out in the process.

Terence wants someone to wash him, says Lily.

Did I say that? asks Terence.

I'm quite sure he didn't, says Gaius. Step in, Terence. I shall do it.

Terence steps in.

Gaius looks around for a smaller container.

The seedling pots are useless. They have holes in the bottom.

I'll use my cupped hands, says Gaius. Ready Terence?

Terence is ready.

Gaius fills his cupped hands.

He raises the cupped hands filled with water above Terence's head.

Wait! I'm not ready, says Terence.

Let me know when you are, says Gaius.

Never, says Terence. Because if you slosh water over my head you'll wash off the Smarties.

We'll take them off first, says Gaius.

Terence thinks they look like eyes, says Lily. He wants a photo.

I'll take a photo, says Kierkegaard.

Good man, says Gaius. Use my phone. It's back there, through the bulrushes, in my back pack.

Kierkegaard goes through the gap in the bulrushes.

Wonderful! There's a small bird, sitting on Gaius's back pack. If only he could take a photo. But Gaius's phone is inside, and Kierkegaard doesn't have one.

He resolves to obtain one. For times such as these.

The small bird flies up in alarm.

Kierkegaard reaches into the back pack and pulls out a sock filled with knucklebones.

Pah! He shoves it back in.

He rummages further, until he finds Gaius's phone.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the bulrushes, Terence has sat down in his container of water.

It's a boat, says Terence.

Boats aren't filled with water, says Lily. Unless they're sinking.

Terence is about to reply when the small bird which Kierkegaard startled darts by.

I do believe that was a stipiturus! says Gaius.

An E-mew! shouts Terence.

Hush, says Paloma. It might come back if we're quiet.

Yes, possibly.

It might.

No comments: