Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Not-what-no

The two emu-wrens sneak up closer to Alexander-Red-Hook.

The closer they get, the bigger she is, and the harder her shell looks.

squeesqueenotaspider!

nonotoneno!

What's that squeesqueeing? asks Lily.

Parrots, says Terence.

Not parrots, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I think I should know.

But you're not a real parrot, says Lily. So you might not know.

Does that mean you think it's parrots squeesqueeing? asks Terence.

No, says Lily.

But you're not a real parrot, says Terence.

She knows bird things, says Alexander-Red-Hook. She told me.

Woop! says Terence. So you don't have to be one to know.

I said MIGHT not, says Lily. But I'm sure it's not parrots.They could be stipituri.

Ee? scoffs  Terence.

Plural, says Lily. I heard at least two squeesquees.

What am I one of? asks Terence.

Why are you asking? asks Lily.

So I know what I don't have to be one of, to know something, says Terence.

He's just being silly, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

I know, says Lily. Look! There they are!

Make a parrot sound, says Terence.

Who, me? asks Alexander-Red-Hook. How does a parrot sound?

Squaaaark, suggests Lily.

That's all YOU know, says Terence.

Hello, brothers, says Alexander-Red-Hook to the two stipituri.

notoneno, says the first one.

notwhatno? asks Alexander-Red-Hook.

spiderno! says the second one.

Of course I'm a spider-no, says Alexander-Red-Hook. And I won't confuse you by claiming to be a parrot. I suppose you don't see many crabs, and therefore you think I may be a strange kind of spider, but I assure you, I'm a crustacean...

See, says Terence, to Lily. That's how a parrot sounds.

It's no big deal to Lily, but the stipituri don't like it.

They flee through the low vegetation.




No comments: