Monday, May 18, 2020

What Birds Don't Need To Know

Terence is again facing outwards.

Alexander-Red-Hook dangles free.

Not far now, says Gaius, turning onto Beare Lane.

Good, says Kierkegaard, cycling alongside him.

Another car passes.

Everyone's going where we're going! says Terence.

I doubt that, says Gaius. But a few may turn up, I suppose.

To look for E-mews, says Terence.

Emu-wrens, says Gaius. And to plant native species.

In the swamp, says Kierkegaard.

It's a peat swamp, says Gaius. The Fleurieu's largest and most intact peat swamp.

Pete Swamp, says Terence.

It sounds like he's saying it right.

I'm looking forward to those German rolls, says Gaius.

So am I, says Kierkegaard. And those Danish tarts.

What have I got ? asks Terence. Nothing.

The Funny Face, says Kierkegaard. I don't understand why you've taken against it.

I don't like it's FACE! says Terence.

Would you like some advice from your parrot? asks Alexander-Red-Hook.

I don't know, says Terence. What is it?

Me, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I'm your parrot.

I mean what's the ADVICE! says Terence.

Pick the face off, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Then it's just a biscuit.

Terence is pleased with this good advice from his parrot.

He asks for the biscuit.

But the grownups aren't willing to stop yet.

They are approaching the conservation park which is named Stipiturus after the emu-wrens who reputedly live there.

Stipiturus Conservation Park.

Here we are, says Gaius. Now to find a good spot.

For lunch, says Terence. Where's my biscuit?

For bird spotting, says Gaius. This low dense vegetation is ideal for hiding.

Why are we hiding? asks Terence.

It's easier to spot birds from a bird hide, says Gaius. Because the birds won't see you.

Did you know that, my parrot? asks Terence.

We birds don't need to know that, says Alexander-Red-Hook. In fact, if we did, the whole construct would fail. But speaking as a former crab, I'm aware of it.

You're the best cr....parrot ever! says Terence. You know parrot things and crab things! And you know what to do with the biscuit.

Gaius looks at Kierkegaard.

Kierkegaard nods.

Alexander-Red-Hook is an asset.


No comments: