Monday, May 11, 2020

Woe! The Virus

Victor is driving.

Gaius is in the passenger seat.

Kierkegaard is in the back with Terence and his faux parrot.

You'll need rubber boots, says Victor.

I have my Crocs, says Gaius. They're waterproof.

But they do let the mud in, says Victor.

Too bad, says Gaius. I've suffered worse.

What's this? asks Kierkegaard, leaning forward. Will it be muddy?

It's a swamp, says Victor. Of course it'll be muddy.

I don't have rubber boots, says Kierkegaard.

Me either! says Terence. And nor does my parrot.

I don't need rubber boots, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I'll be airborne.

Air-born? says Terence.

Swinging free, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Like a plant in a hanging basket, held up by you.

Are there trees there? asks Terence..

He hopes so. He can hang her up in a tree.

There should be plenty of Mount Compass oak bush, says Victor.

You know the park? asks Gaius.

I do, says Victor. Last year I volunteered at the SwampFest.

A musical event? enquires Gaius.

No, an annual native tree planting event, says Victor. Of course, it won't be on this year.

Why not? asks Terence.

The virus, says Victor. Everything's off, so less people will catch it.

Will I catch it? asks Terence.

You're the only one who couldn't, says Victor. But you could pass it on.

Woe! says Terence.

Don't upset him, says Gaius.

I'm not upset, says Terence. Why can't I catch it?

You're made of cement, says Gaius.

Why can I pass it on? asks Terence.

Someone might touch you, says Gaius. But that is unlikely, since the SwampFest is cancelled.

Or he might touch someone, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Namely me.

Then you should be glad you're being held at arm's length, in a knotted string basket, says Kierkegaard.

Not right now, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

It is true. She is in the knotted string whatnot, on the back seat next to Terence, to whose leg she is adjacent. She shifts sideways.

Terence shifts too.

She's his parrot.

Get away, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

This won't do, says Gaius. We have all been together for a very long time now. No one is infected.

We can't be certain, says Victor.

Luckily it is only a seven minute drive from Middleton to Goolwa, where Victor has two spare bicycles.

He pulls up, and everyone gets out.


No comments: