Sunday, May 31, 2020

Tall Holiday Hat

Gaius is right. It was Vello.

Vello is now on his way.

He is cycling alone.

Good practice, thinks Vello, for the Tour de France in late August.

Even better, with a back pack.

His back pack is bulky. It contains a small tent, sleeping bag, rain jacket and the tall Peruvian hat, which he always takes on holiday.

As he pedals, it sways from side to side.

.......

He stops in Mount Compass, for a coffee.

A few raindrops fall, as he exits the café.

Should he put on his raincoat?

It won't be fun camping. He calls Gaius.

This time Gaius answers.

Vello? Where have you got to?

I'm in Mount Compass. It's starting to rain. I'm thinking of going home.

Don't do that, says Gaius. Do you know how to get here? You've overshot the turn off, if you're in Mount Compass.

I needed a coffee, says Vello. It's getting worse, what's it like where you are?

A few spots, says Gaius. But there's plenty of shelter. And Paloma has a camper. She'll let us inside.

Could she perhaps come and get me? asks Vello.

No, she's busy planting seedlings, says Gaius. Take the Victor Harbour Road out of Mount Compass, turn left at Lanacoona, left onto Simpson and right onto Beare Lane.

What about your talking parrot? asks Vello. It could come surely.

It's not a parrot, says Gaius. It's a crab.

Not like you to mistake a creature, says Vello.

Terence's fancy, says Gaius.

Is he there? asks Vello. Now I'm really not coming.

You've come this far, says Gaius. I'll tell you what. Sit tight and I'll send Kierkegaard. He's not doing much. And he can pick up some supplies from the cafe. Of course, you could do that.

No, send him, says Vello. I'll wait here with my coffee.

In your rain coat, says Gaius.

And my holiday hat, says Vello. I'll await him.

....

Gaius turns to Kierkegaard.

I heard, says Kierkegaard. I'm not doing much. Neither are you for that matter.

We can't both go, says Gaius.

I suppose not, says Kierkegaard. What would you like me to pick up from the café?

Sandwiches, says Gaius. And apples, if there are any. Coffee, if there's any way of carrying it.

If there isn't, says Kierkegaard, at least I can have one.

He thinks, Gaius deserved that.

He walks off to his bike.


No comments: