Monday, September 21, 2009

Kisa Gotami

How does the Buddha's Mustard Seed Parable go? asked Jesus. You'd better tell me, if you think it's so good.

It's a lot more complex than yours, I said. There's a rich man whose gold and silver turns to ashes. He's understandably upset. A wise friend tells him to go to the market place and set up his ashes and pretend to trade with them.

I like this story, said Jesus. It's funny.

Yes, that's what you think now, but listen. People ask him why he has ashes for sale. He tells them, these are my riches. The people think he's gone nuts. A poor young orphan girl called Kisa Gotami passes his stall and asks him why he has silver and gold for sale. He says, please hand me some of it. When she does, the ashes have turned back into gold.

Great story, said Jesus, but what about the Mustard Seeds?

Be patient, I'm getting to that part now. Well, the rich man sees that this girl has an eye for the true value of things...

What! cried Jesus.

.....and he marries her to his son.

Oh, I see, said Jesus.

Jesus, I said. Do shut up. This part is only of minor relevance.

I think you'll find it isn't, he said, looking wise. If I know anything about parables, he added.

I decided not to answer that, but pressed on.

Anyway, Kisa Gotami has a baby, and some time later it dies.

Oh, I know what's going to happen next, said Jesus.

No you don't, I said. She's very distraught, and runs around to all the neighbours asking for medicine.

Ha! said Jesus. But the baby's dead.

That's what the neighbours say. They think she's gone nuts.

You see! said Jesus triumphantly. The parallel with the first part of the story!

Oh yes. You're quite right. Thanks for pointing it out, I said. Now, one of the neighbours tells her to go and see the Buddha, because he might be able to help.

Jesus looked a bit put out. The Buddha puts himself into his own parable, he said. That doesn't seem right. Did I ever do that?

I don't think so, I said

No, it's unconventional, said Jesus. Still, there's nothing wrong with being unconventional.

True, I agreed. So, the girl goes to see the Buddha, and asks him for medicine that will cure her baby. And he says, bring me a handful of mustard seed.

At last, says Jesus. I suppose he's going to do a miracle.

No, stop second-guessing! He says that the mustard seed must be taken from a house where no one has lost a child, husband, parent or friend.

Well! said Jesus, this is either amazingly cruel or the Buddha has something further up his sleeve.

He hasn't, I said. Kisa Gotami goes from house to house with her dead baby and eventually realises that death is common to all. Then she buries her baby, goes back to the Buddha and takes refuge in him, finding comfort in the Dharma, and the path to enlightenment.

The cheek of it! exclaimed Jesus.

No comments: