Sunday, September 6, 2009

Buddha on a Bicycle

Hello cycling philosofans! The VeloDrone here. Guess who I bumped into on the road this week? Yes it was the Buddha himself, cycling trancendentally down the Middle Way. I don't know how he manages to get away with it. Must be something more than just good luck, though.

So, I invited him to stop and have a latte, and a little chat. It wasn't long before we got onto the subject of the Middle Way.

I'd like to try it, I said to him, but I've never had the guts.

It is the only way to escape the cycle of endless suffering, my friend, said the Buddha. Let me explain to you the Four Noble Truths. Cycling is suffering. The origin of suffering is attachment to the bicycle. Cessation of suffering is only attainable through detachment from the bicycle.

That's three, I said.

It's four, he replied. I've joined up the last two. Now, the Eightfold Path represents the Middle Way to self improvement.

Interesting , I said, suddenly remembering how these Eastern Philosophies tend to keep on branching off. But I don't really have time to listen to all eight. Just tell me one.

Well, Number Five is one I'm very into at the moment, said the Buddha. It is called Right Livelihood. It means making a living for oneself in a sustainable, eco-friendly and non-competitive way.

That sounds good, I said, but what's its relevance to cycling?

Well obviously, said the Buddha, it's a way of detaching oneself from one's bicycle. I've just opened a little shop in Covent Garden, called Buddha on a Bicycle. I sell stones, incense and knicknacks, and give lessons in meditation in my therapy room.

Oh, I said, and how's that doing?

Pretty well, said the Buddha. But I always need more customers. Perhaps you could give me a little puff in your magazine?

So, fellow Drones, that's exactly what I am doing. Drop by Buddha on a Bicycle next time you're in London. Mention that the VeloDrone sent you. You won't get anything for nothing but at least he'll know I'm practicing Right Intention.

No comments: