Monday, September 7, 2009

Right Intention

What do you think the VeloDrone meant by Right Intention? asked Pliny, this morning.

I suppose he was referring to Number Two on the Eightfold Path, I replied. No doubt he was letting us know that he knew more about the Eightfold Path than he let on to the Buddha.

Yes, yes, said Pliny impatiently, but what do think he understood by the term Right Intention?

Oh, I imagine it's about having a good and ethical reason to do what he is going to do, I said.

But in the case of asking us, his readers, to pay a visit to the Buddha's new shop in London, what do you think the VeloDrone's intention actually was? pursued Pliny.

To do a favour to the Buddha, I suggested.

But would the Buddha see that as a Right Intention?

Hmm. Probably not. Well that's his problem. By the way, did you enjoy the green frog cake I bought you last Friday?

I did indeed. Thank you. And did the Buddha like the one you gave to him?

I think so. But he didn't look at it, and that is half the pleasure in eating a green frog cake.

It is. I particularly like the way the frog's mouth is split open so that you can see the pink cream inside. And the way the green icing stretches and pulls away from the sticky syrup-soaked sponge cake underneath. And the taste! Sweetness upon sweetness. Perhaps it was too sweet for his Blessedness.

He didn't say so.

He wouldn't.

No comments: