Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Green Star Dreaming

Lord Buddha!

Yes?

What do you know of dreams?

They are empty and meaningless.

I dream of green stars before I fall asleep.

Before you fall asleep? That is a monkey dream.

I know why I dream it. The green stars are weeds. And I have been spending too long in the garden with my weeding prong. That isn't what I wanted to ask.

What then?

I seek enlightenment. Today I was in the front garden pulling up green weeds with my prong, when suddenly I had the strangest sensation. As if I were asleep, and dreaming of green stars, illuminated by the sun.

So you were awake, and weeding, and yet it seemed that you were asleep and dreaming that you were awake and weeding?

Yes.

And how did you feel about this?

I knew that I preferred to be asleep and dreaming. Because in the dream I'm simply staring into the heart of the weeds and not actually weeding.

That is because you are lying down.

Is that important?

You will never accomplish the task of weeding that way.

May I ask you something? Are you sure that you are the real Buddha?

Why do you ask?

You sound like me.

No comments: