Monday, August 11, 2014

Being And Nothingness

Nothing has happened as expected. Belle and Marie wake up alone.

They try and remember what happened.

George Santayana and José Ortega y Gasset had left the bar to look for a clinic. Their fingers were hurting.

Arthur had gone off with Juan.

Sweezus had muttered something about Sartrean existentialism and the problem of being and nothingness, then run out to check on his bike.

The girls therefore decide to hire a Donut, since there are only the two of them.

After lunch they wander down to the beach in their swimsuits.

..........

It's mid morning. Arthur is walking along the esplanade wheeling his bicycle.

As he gets closer, we can see that it's not his bicycle, but a similar bicycle.

(If we're into distinguishing bicycles).

Arthur is looking for Sweezus. He wants to show him the Art Toy that Juan Redón gave him.

Astroboy. Shiny and round.

.......

Sweezus is brushing the sand from his shorts, having spent four hours slumped on the beach.

......

George Santayana and José Ortega y Gasset are coming out of the clinic.

That's better, says George. Those bandages were disgusting. I was quite embarrassed.

So was I, says José Ortega y Gasset. And I don't feel like banana boating now. What say we go back to Barcelona and rejoin the conference?

Yes, let's, says George Santayana. I feel I have more to contribute.

As do I, says José Ortega y Gasset. I had hardly got started.

They head for the station.

.........

Arthur has found Sweezus on the beach. He shows him the toy.

Woah! says Sweezus. Astroboy! My favourite character. How'd you get that?

That collector, says Arthur. He had a collection. He had a whole collection of collections.

Awesome! says Sweezus. I wish I had ......no I don't. I don't wish for anything

He looks seriously serious. His new haircut  helps.

You look serious, says Arthur.

Think intellectual, says Sweezus.

I always do, says Arthur.

Did you nick that bike? says Sweezus.

Not exactly, says Arthur.

No comments: