Saturday, August 2, 2014

Marine Philosophy

While Ageless is dreaming up a lazy-style version of marine philosophy, Captain Louttit is hard at work.

How lucky for Ageless.

Captain Louttit has turned on the office computer and started typing.

Notes Towards Marine Philosophy: The Philosophy of Maneuver Warfare.

( an American influence? )

Priorities: Making good marines, developing quality citizens, WINNING BATTLES.

Qualities:   Boldness, creativity, intelligence and the WARRIOR SPIRIT.

Aims: AT ALL COSTS, accomplish the mission.

FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY BUT DIE FOR YOUR BUDDIES.

Captain Louttit stops typing. 

He looks over at Ageless. He looks at the clock on the wall. 

He blows a reveille! Dadadadadada-dadadadadada-dadada-dadada-dadadadadadah!

Without even using a bugle.

Ageless wakes up.

Wahha! What the doodah!!!

Done! says Captain Louttit. Marine philosophy. You just need to flesh it out.

Ageless stares at the screen.

Maneuver?

.........

Back in Barcelona, Schopenhauer sucks on the pebble of Ortega y Gasset.

It's amazing. His tongue is healed, and his mouth is full of fine German spittle.

It is the next morning, and the philosophers are down at Barceleta Beach.

They are still discussing technology.

Even a pebble can be considered technology, says Ortega y Gasset.

It depends on the function, says Santayana. Not every pebble can be considered technology.

This pebble can be, says Schopenhauer. It's function has been to cure my sore tongue and it's secondary function has been to quell my pangs of hunger. I've not had breakfast and I don't feel hungry.

Peasants use pebbles in that way, says Vello. I mean, they used to.

I need more evidence before I believe it, says David.

Of what? says Schopenhauer. Want to look at my tongue?

No thank you, says David, but I shall shortly perform an experiment.

Let me see this pebble, says Vello. Is it a special one?

No, says Ortega y Gasset. I just like picking up pebbles. I am that type of person.

Oh I say, says Schopenhauer. Now you tell me. It may have been dirty.

Take it out, says Vello. 

Schopenhauer spits out the pebble, which is dark grey and slimy with spittle, but perfectly clean.

That proves nothing, says Schopenhauer.

Very true, says David. Now excuse me everyone. I'll be back in a minute.

David walks over the sand to a beach side café and comes back with a massive paella.

O heaven! Delicious! says Schopenhauer.

David smirks.

So much for the secondary function.  


No comments: