Friday, August 29, 2014

There's The Baby To Think Of

At Bar-Cafe Bicicleta, Vello orders drinks, while they wait for their friends.

The waiter brings ten drinks.

Scusi, says Vello, Vouz avez broucto plus multo boito. We are septe, non diz.

Papa, says Belle. Not a single word of that was Spanish.

I'll tell him, says Maria Goyri.

She speaks to the waiter in Spanish: We are seven, not ten. You have brought us too many drinks.

This is what the gentleman ordered, says the waiter, also in Spanish. So you must pay for ten drinks.

You are a scoundrel, says Maria Goyri.

The waiter shimmies away.

José, George, Sweezus and the baby enter Bar-Cafe Bicicleta.

Hola! says José. What a fine choice of venue for cyclists.

Sweezie! cries Belle. Who's this?

This is.... says Sweezus. This is....... a baby.

How adorable, says Belle. Let me have him.

She stands up to reach for the baby. Takes the baby. Sits down.

Ouch, she has sat on a safety pin! The one Maria Goyri lent her.

She lets go of the baby.

The baby tumbles to the ground.

Are you a demon? asks the baby.

Of course not, says Belle. I sat on a safety pin. It's popped open. Sorry baby, come here.

No, says the baby. You only get one chance with me.

The baby spots Arthur.

Arthur wears Brave Soul Paisley Skull shorts. He has yellow stained bandages wrapped loosely round both knees. And a backpack.

Guess who I am, says the baby, to Arthur.

Probably no one, says Arthur. But.... you look familiar.

If I had some beach shorts, says the baby, and a haircut......who would I look like?

Me, says Arthur. Or him.

I don't understand it, says Maria Goyri. You can't kidnap a baby. Where did he come from?

Schopenhauer yawns. Fancy bringing a baby!

Sweezus picks up the baby.

He fell off his palace, says Sweezus. He was replaced by a parrot. I'm his future. He's me.

Impossible, says David.

Yeah that's what I reckon, says Sweezus. Maybe I'm still delusional.

Maybe he is. But there is the baby to think of.


No comments: