Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Disconnect Like The Buddha

Next morning, Ray Moon looks cheerful.

What's for breakfast? asks Ray.

Sweezus opens a cupboard.

We'll have to go out for breakfast, says Sweezus.

Not exactly providential are you, says Ray jovially. Ha ha.  I suppose you don't need to be.

Terence emerges from the bathroom, bedraggled.

I can't turn the tap off, says Terence.

Now that we're all here, says Ray, let's have a conversation.

Wait dude, I have to turn the tap off, says Sweezus.

He goes into the bathroom.

Ray sits down at the kitchen table.

Hola! says Terence. I AM Spanish!

Ray can't believe it.

Last night Terence had proved beyond doubt he was not Spanish.

So it remained conceivable that he and Sweezus were related.

Now this morning Terence has claimed to be Spanish.

In which case they can't be related!

I can't turn the tap off either, says Sweezus, coming out of the bathroom with a damp towel.

Let me try, says Ray.

No need to, says Sweezus. I've just disconnected the water.

That won't solve the problem, says Ray.

Trust me, dude, says Sweezus.

They go out for breakfast, at East Terrace Continental.

.......

Katherine is there, catching up with Margaret.

It was so clever! says Margaret. A musical take-off of Jane Austen. She took all the parts. She did all the different voices. And all the poems were modern pop songs, and the music....

What was it again? asks Katherine vaguely.

Promise and Promiscuity, says Margaret. You would have loved it. It was full of naughty innuendo.

I would not have loved it, says Katherine. Naughty innuendo is not up my alley.

Oh ha ha! says Margaret. That's exactly......

Damn! Look the other way, says Katherine. It's Ray. Too late! He's seen us.

Hello, Katherine, says Ray. Keeping busy?

Hello, Ray, says Katherine. I see you're with Sweezus and Terence. Don't let us keep you.

It's just...... says Ray. I don't suppose you have spare room you're not using?

I do, says Margaret. Are you looking for a short term rental?

Er.... yes, says Ray. If it's not too dear. I'm only here for the Fringe. We're putting on Candide.

Again, says Katherine.

And you play.....? says Margaret.

Candide, says Ray.

Ooh, Candide! says Margaret. You have a big part.

I learnt to handle big parts at Christian College, says Ray.

I take small parts, says Margaret. If there's an opening.....

Really! says Katherine. I'll leave you two to it. She gets up and goes over to the table where Sweezus is eating his breakfast and Terence is watching.

It seems Ray's moving in with Margaret, says Katherine.

Awesome. It worked! says Sweezus.

Terence winks in a way that (he hopes) looks Spanish.

What worked? says Katherine.

No milk, no sugar, no tea bags , no breakfast, and finally if that fails, disconnect the water, says Sweezus. It's a Zen thing. What the Buddha would do.

Disconnect the water? says Katherine.

Don't you reckon? says Sweezus.

I suppose so, says Katherine. If he had the right tools.


No comments: