Monday, February 16, 2015

The Education Of A Hard Little Robber

It's late at night. Sweezus walks back to his flat, with Terence on his shoulders.

Footsteps clatter behind him. He turns. Shit. It's Ray.

You don't have a spare room, do you? asks Ray.

Yeah, I do, says Sweezus. But Terence sleeps in it.

He can sleep with me, says Terence. He's my teacher.

No, dude, you're HIS teacher, says Sweezus. You're Doctor Pangloss.

But he's teaching me how to be Doctor Pangloss, says Terence.

All right then, says Sweezus. One night only.

Ray basks in the glow of success.

......

Sweezus puts on the kettle.

Ray leans back in his chair.

Kind of you to give me a bed, says Ray. Perhaps I've misjudged you.

Yeah? says Sweezus. Err... there's no milk and sugar.

No worries, says Ray. Yes, it was years ago, at Port Elliot. I saw you stealing from the collection box....

I never.... says Sweezus. Then he remembers. He did.

It was for the needy, says Sweezus, And I was.....kind of needy. Me and Arthur....

Oh yes, Arthur, says Ray. No doubt he had something to do with it.

I can't sleep, says Terence coming out of the spare room.

Were you listening? asks Sweezus.

Yes, says Terence. And I'm sad. Now I know I grow up and start STEALING.

It's because you need the money to pay back Mrs Swales, says Sweezus.

Is that written in stone? says Ray, slowly.

Cement, says Terence. I'll be a hard robber. Is it all for the best, Ray?

Ray is a Christian of the old school. He's thinking: Give me the child.......

.......

Sweezus sleeps the sleep of a man unaware that his childhood is being tampered with.

He dreams he is back in the loft, at Ayers House, lulled by cool air conditioning.

A man explains Terra Nullius. Terror Australis.

A man with a passion.

And grainy impressionist pictures of far distant ranges.

........


 Minutes later, Sweezus wakes up in a sweat.

Terence is wailing.

No comments: