Monday, February 23, 2015

The Hard Lesson Of The Spanish Onion

I'll give you iconography! says Ray. You little smart-arse. I bet you don't even know what it is.

I do, I do, says Terence. We had to learn it in the palace. We had classes.

Classes! scoffs Ray.

We each had a meaning, says Terence. Every statue. Even the fruit. And only the Spanish Onions were Spanish. 

Ray decides to ignore the fact that Spanish Onions are not fruit but vegetables.

What's yours then? asks Ray.

Prince of Peas, says Terence.

Peace, says Ray. Prince of Peace.

You're saying it funny, says Terence. But that's my meaning. And don't say I'm not green.

You're not green, says Ray.

Thank you, says Terence. That's what I used to say to my parrot. He was green. No, wait, HE said it.

Well, says Ray, I have to admit that you do understand iconography.

Yes, says Terence. You do.

By now they have reached the front door of Sweezus's flat. 

Ray knocks. Sweezus opens.

Ray, says Sweezus. I said one night only. Remember?

Circumstances dictate, says Ray. I took Terence to Manga. Now it's late. I have nowhere else. 

Sweezus lets both of them in.

He's not sleeping in my room, says Terence.

He's not sleeping in mine, says Sweezus.

I'll sleep with YOU, says Terence. You can write on my back with your finger. 

Sweezus looks resigned. All right, Terence.

Shall I put the kettle on? says Ray.

No teabags, says Sweezus.  Let's just all get some sleep.

.......

Terence likes being in bed with Sweezus.

He rolls over, presenting his back.

Write something, says Terence. Not hard. Just so it tickles.

Sweezus writes: HOW  WAS  MANGA ?

Hee hee hee, giggles Terence.

What did I write? asks Sweezus.

A question, says Terence. Do another one.

Sweezus writes: HOW DID YOU GET ON WITH RAY?

Heeeeee-ee! That was a long one, says Terence. Do another one.

No, says Sweezus. Go to sleep now.

I hate Ray, says Terence. He was rude about grandpa. And he said I was Spanish. Anyway, where is grandpa?

Marx? He's gone to Melbourne, says Sweezus. To organise the Marxism Conference. And, by the way, if you're not Spanish, you can't hang out with me. Get it?

No, says Terence, in a slight Spanish accent.


No comments: