Sunday, January 7, 2018

Bird And General Wisdom

The Far Eastern Curlews have made themselves scarce, says Gaius.

They'll be lurking, says Saint Roley.

Then we shall draw them out, says Gaius. Arthur, start digging.

I'll do it, says Saint Roley.

He probes in the mud.

A Far Eastern Curlew approaches.

You are a bold one, says Gaius. Will you act as a spokes-bird?

Wark! says the Far Eastern Curlew. I'm just here observing.

We know all about your protection racket, says Gaius. May I say, in the long run, it will be unproductive.

Protection racket? says the Far Eastern Curlew, giving Saint Roley a black look.

Do I need to spell it out? Half of all molluscs surrendered? says Gaius.

You know nothing of Bird Wisdom, says the Far Eastern Curlew.

Saint Roley might beg to differ, says Gaius.

No, says Saint Roley. I know nothing of Bird Wisdom, being an orphan.

There are many forms of wisdom, says Gaius. The more species they cover the better.

In your opinion, says the Far Eastern Curlew.

Naturally, says Gaius.

And Bird Wisdom is? says Arthur.

Take it where you find it, basically, says the Far Eastern Curlew.

But from whom? asks Gaius.

Anyone. We call it karma, says the Far Eastern Curlew.

I see you have cherry picked your wisdom, says Gaius.

Who can do better? asks the Far Eastern Curlew.

I can't, says Saint Roley.

Try this, says Arthur. A friend of mine wrote it.

( A lie. But he wants some feedback, regarding its wisdom).

The Fig Tree.
I perceive the whole tree
I'm like the fig tree
a sentient being
I'm like the leaves
or the cells of which the leaves are composed
but this is only true if leaves are like fingers.

I see, says Gaius, the point being that wisdom is conditional. Your friend is quite good. I wrote a poem once, in the form of a haiku. Now what was it.....? Something about limits....

He remembers:

navem non licet
in regione flava
signum non leget

 No vessels allowed in the areas marked in yellow, says the Far Eastern Curlew. Fair enough too. But what does the last line mean?

Ha ha, laughs Gaius. That's the joke. The sign is facing inland. No vessel can read it!

No comments: