Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Stage Two - Core Beliefs

Wednesday. It will be hot.

At 11am, the Tour Down Under rolls out of Unley.

Now, says Vello, I want Team Philosophe to focus.

Bit late for a pep talk, says David.

Not at all, says Gaius. Believe in ourselves. That's the spirit.

Wittgenstein hears the last but one sentence.

At the core of every belief lies a belief that is unfounded, says Wittgenstein.

I say! says David. You and I are like-minded on that one.

Don't you start! snaps Vello.

The riders head up through the Adelaide Hills, with varied intentions.

Jaime Castrillo of Team Movistar breaks away, a lone warrior three minutes ahead of the peloton.

Nic Dlomini of Dimension Data is focused on winning King of the Mountain.

Arthur and Pablo of Team Condor are inventing verses, based on the CRAN.

Cold Rice And Noodles, says Pablo.

Crack Red At Night, says Arthur.

You guys, stop that, says Sweezus. Lead me out when we get to Tea Tree Gully.

We already went through Tea Tree Gully, says Pablo.

Mylor then, says Sweezus.  I'll try for Sprint Two.

Sweezus speeds up

Cannot Ride After Nothing, says Arthur.

Cierto! says Pablo. Where is the feed zone?

Richie rides by with two of his BMC team mates.

Snow is white on the westward mountains, says Richie.

And waters flash on the long bridge.

But wind and dust bar me from my brothers.

And I cannot help crying. I am so far away.

Hear that? says Pablo.

It's a Stratagem, says Arthur. He wants us to repeat it to Sweezus.

Why? asks Pablo. It is all negative. Like he is losing.

Point at the mulberry tree while cursing the locust tree, says Arthur.

You lose me, says Pablo.

Remove the firewood from under the pot, says Arthur. Take the opportunity to pilfer a goat.

I like these, says Pablo. Perhaps it does not matter the meaning. Which one shall we tell to the captain?

Arthur thinks, probably none.

By now they have entered the feed zone and eaten.

They must now do three laps of Stirling.

At the end of which, who has removed the firewood and pilfered the goat?

Caleb Ewan of Team Michelton-Scott.

(Stratagems are kind of like metaphors).

No comments: