Friday, January 5, 2018

Empathy Versus Less Empathy

I've brought Farky, says Arthur. He's in the car.

Farky, how is he? asks Gaius.

Not as good as he once was, says Arthur.

.......

Gaius is not shocked when he sees Farky's teeth stumps.

Roman bull glue rarely fails, says Gaius. But when it does, one can always try fish glue.

Noo! growls Farky.

Or Roman superglue, continues Gaius. Made from bitumen, bark pitch and animal grease, such as beef tallow. Soot, sand or crushed quartz can be added.

Farky likes the sounds of beef tallow.

I'll go to the shops, says Gaius, and see what I can find. I imagine you have the teeth somewhere.

No, says Arthur. Only what's left in his mouth.

Gaius bends down to look closely at Farky. Farky bares his gums.

Tragic, says Gaius. Those teeth were irreplaceable.

And yet...... says Farky (or the the teeth stumps).

And yet what?

And yet we retain certain memories of the future, say the teeth stumps.

So do I, says Farky. Unni feeds me on Kimchi, while I long for bones.

Gaius is moved by the simplicity of Farky's longings.

Arthur, says Gaius. I shall fix this. I feel responsible, as it was my bull glue that failed, and the stone teeth were originally prised from the all-knowing stone in my kitchen.

Okay, says Arthur. What can I do?

Persuade Saint Roley to talk to the Mayor, says Gaius.

......

Come on, says Arthur. Talk to the Mayor.

Can't, says Saint Roley. My life is in danger.

Fine, says Arthur. Let's go to the beach.

.......

On the beach, Saint Roley sits beside Arthur.

Saint Roley likes it that Arthur doesn't say anything.

For a while. Then he starts to wonder what Arthur is thinking.

(Arthur is thinking up a poem about a fig tree, in the style of Sweezus, which is hard because Sweezus has little talent for poetry).

Saint Roley has no way to guess this.

Arthur must be waiting to learn why Saint Roley's life is in danger.

There's empathy for you.

Saint Roley can't help himself.

He starts spilling the beans about the half molluscs, and the protection racket he's become part of.

No comments: