Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A Woman Of The Old School

What to do? Gaius is ready to leave, with no transport.

He does not feel like cycling all the way to the Coorong in forty degree heat.

He calls Arthur, who does't answer.

What would Arthur do in this situation?

Borrow a car.

Gaius calls Katherine, David Hume's mother.

Gaius! says Katherine. How was the Tour?

Very good, says Gaius.

Are you taking a break now? asks Katherine.

Not at all, says Gaius, in fact that's why I've called you. I need to get out to the Coorong for a few days with Saint Roley. May we borrow your car?

The Coorong! cries Katherine. I do love the Coorong. I shall come with you. When are you thinking of leaving?

ASAP, says Gaius.

Just let me scrape a few things together, says Katherine. And I'll be over in thirty minutes.

Very kind, Katherine, says Gaius, his heart sinking.

......

Thirty minutes. Katherine piles several long sleeved cotton shirts into her suitcase. And two pairs of sensible three quarter length cotton pants. Spare runners, a Cancer Council hat and a spare pair of sunglasses. A novel. The Stone Diaries. At the last minute she adds a bag of Carisma potatoes. Who knows, the potatoes might come in handy.

......

Are we all ready? says Katherine.

We have been ready for thirty minutes, says Gaius. By the way, Terence is coming.

I might have known, says Katherine. Hello, Terence. Looking forward to the Coorong?

No, says Terence. It's going to be scary.

Nonsense, says Katherine. It's a wonderland. Who told you that?

Saint Roley, says Terence.

And where is Saint Roley? asks Katherine.

Here, says Saint Roley. Pleased to meet you. Call me Roley.

I most certainly will, says Katherine. Are you returning to the Coorong?

No, says Saint Roley. I have never been. We are on a mission.

Katherine looks at Gaius. A mission?

Shorebird numbers are down, says Gaius. It may be due to filamentous green algae. We'll soon find out.

Filamentous green algae, says Katherine. Does it smell bad?

Hard to say, at this stage, says Gaius. The Coorong always smells pungent.

Should have brought my nose clips, says Katherine. Well, pile in everyone. I should warn you, my air con is broken.

Forty degrees and her air con is broken.

Luckily Gaius is a stoic. And Terence is made of cement. Saint Roley is an oystercatcher, not to mention a saint, and Katherine is a woman of the old school.

No comments: