Monday, January 22, 2018

Spirit Dog

Racing is over.

Margaret walks across to where Team Philosphe is resting.

Terence is with her.

I hear you and Ludwig are going camping, says Vello.

Me? says Terence.

Me, says Margaret. You will NOT be coming.

Is it decided? asks Ludwig.

Yes, says Margaret. I'll pick you up at eight am tomorrow. No need to bring anything.

She has not thought that it may be unwise to tell Wittgenstein not to bring anything.

Sweezus rocks up.

Boss, says Sweezus. Great race.

We didn't disgrace ourselves, says Vello.

What are your plans now? asks David.

Earn some money, says Sweezus.

You could interview Richie, says Vello. That is, if he hasn't disappeared already.

Richie? says David. Does he qualify as a philosopher?

I should say so, says Vello. He came up with the Thirty Six Stratagems.

Humph! says Gaius, who up to now has not said anything.

What? says Vello.

He hardly came up with them, says Gaius. And what useful purpose did they serve?

I know why YOU'RE grumpy, says Margaret.

You don't, says Gaius.

O yes, says Margaret. You think I've invited Ludwig to come camping just to spite you. Well, it's not all about you.

Glad to hear it, says Gaius. As a matter of fact I was thinking of taking a trip out to the Coorong with Saint Roley, and wondering how we might avoid you.

The Coorong is long, Gaius, says Margaret.

Who will have Terence? asks Vello.

Before anyone can answer, Farky bounds up with his pom-pom umbrella askew.

Ask me! says Farky.

Who will have me? says Terence. Is it my new parrot?

Farky is put off his stride.

He had not factored in a new parrot.

Bum bum bumble...

His brain neurons wait for his teeth to give him an answer.

Ding!

You don't get a new parrot.

I NEED one, says Terence.

Bum bum bumble.....

Ding!

You get an old parrot.

How old? asks Terence.

But that is all Farky will say on the subject.

Would you believe it, says Margaret. This dog told me I would find heaven and lose it.

Man! says Sweezus. Wish he told me that kind of stuff.

You will be too late to catch Richie, says Farky.

Fuck! says Sweezus. Is that final?

No, says Farky You get a special dispensation because I believe I'm your spirit dog.

Good boy, says Sweezus, patting his spirit dog before dropping his bike and dashing off to catch Richie.


No comments: