Saturday, January 6, 2018

What He Has Lost

What you need is a weapon, says Arthur.

I have a weapon, says Saint Roley. But their beaks are longer.

I mean a real weapon, says Arthur. Come on.

He is about to march Saint Roley to the wetlands to confront his tormentors, when Gaius returns from the shops with the superglue ingredients

Where are you two off to? asks Gaius. I need you to help me find Farky a new set of teeth.

The wetlands, says Arthur.

To solve the mystery of the half molluscs, says Gaius. That of course must be done. But first we should see to Farky. I have an idea. Arthur, where is Farky?

In the Mini, says Arthur. He thinks he's turning into a Magpie.

The sooner we get him new teeth the better says Gaius. Go and get him.

Okay, says Arthur. He goes back to the car.

What's that? asks Saint Roley.

A rubber bone, says Gaius. I bought it for Farky.

Saint Roley says nothing, but he thinks it would make a good weapon.

Arthur comes back with Farky.

Farky sniffs hopefully. Where's the beef tallow?

Couldn't get any, says Gaius. I had to buy beeswax. But this might give you some comfort.

He hands Farky the rubber bone.

A rubber bone does not give Farky comfort. It only serves to remind him of what he has lost.

I'll have it, says Saint Roley.

How will you carry it? asks Gaius.

I'll carry it, says Arthur. It'll make a good weapon.

A weapon won't be needed, surely, says Gaius.

Saint Roley decides to come clean.

The Far Eastern Curlews threatened to kill me if I didn't join their protection racket.

Wonderful! says Gaius. The bird world never fails to surprise me. You intend to retaliate with a rubber bone?

A knife would be better, says Arthur.

Indeed, says Gaius. These birds have been bred in Siberia.

They head off to the wetlands, on foot.

What's your idea? asks Arthur.

Kill two birds, says Gaius. Not literally, of course. But it occurs to me that the shells of molluscs would make excellent teeth. I'm thinking in particular of the single curved tusk shell or scaphopoda. Failing that, a mud whelk has a wider base and would perhaps for that reason be stronger. At the same time we can give the Far Eastern Curlews a productive task, should they care to undertake it.

The idea sounds good to Saint Roley, nutty to Arthur, and ominous to Farky.

No comments: