Thursday, February 17, 2022

Gang Name

The flat unwell frog is held between Sweezus's thumb and first finger.

Sweezus's hand smells of corn chips and hand sanitiser.

Snurff! 

The frog stirs, coughs, inflates a little.

It's BETTER! cries Terence.

Altitude, says Sweezus. 

Let me see, says Gaius. Yes it does look a bit better. 

Where am I? asks the less flat and unwell frog.

Here, says Terence. I'm the one who found it. Give it to me.

Sure, little buddy, says Sweezus.

Careful! says Gaius. Don't squeeze it.

Terence holds out an open hand.

Sweezus places the frog on it.

The frog hops down onto the sand.

You look better, says Quiet-Tartus. Want to be in my gang?

Who are you? asks the newly well frog.

Quiet-Tartus, says Quiet-Tartus. That's my gang name. 

Do I get a gang name? asks the well frog.

Yes, choose one, says Quiet-Tartus. But I have to approve it.

Loud-Tartus, says the newly well frog.

I don't approve it, says Quiet-Tartus. What about Number-Two?

Ha ha, laughs Terence. That's the name of a poo!

Two-Tartus, says Quiet-Tartus.

Okay, says Two-Tartus. Wait. Does Tartus mean something?

It's short for quiritatus, says Quiet-Tartus. Which means Screaming.

I knew that, says Two-Tartus. So why aren't we called Tatus?

Ask Terence, says Quiet-Tartus.

Two-Tartus looks at Terence.

Potatoes already are, says Terence.

It's as good an answer as any.

Roo-kai returns from the chemist.

No smelling salts, says Roo-kai.

It seems we won't need them, says Gaius. Sweezus has revived him.

Roo-kai can see for himself the flat frog has revived.

He stoops over Two-Tartus. 

Get away! says Two-Tartus.

I won't eat you, says Roo-kai. I just wondered how you recovered without smelling salts. Was it a miracle?

His hands! cries Two-Tartus. A sharp odour awakened my senses!

Sweezus has already headed off with Arthur, to do some more surfing.

The sharp odour will shortly be mingling with the tide. 


No comments: