Thursday, February 24, 2022

Zoom! Crack! Yum!

Tilly and Terence drift back to the shore.

Coralie pulls the canoe onto the mud flat.

We saw a brahminy kite and an osprey, says Tilly.

Nice, says Coralie. Did you write that in your notebook?

Yes, says Tilly, climbing out.

Terence follows. 

Lurch. Squelch.

He plods back to where Gaius is sitting.

I never got a horse, says Terence.

You were never going to, says Gaius. 

Or a canoe, says Terence.

Look on the bright side, says Gaius. You had a canoe ride. And I hear you spotted some birds.

Binoculars didn't work, says Terence. I had to do normal looking.

Nothing wrong with normal looking, says Gaius.

Where are my frogs? asks Terence.

Yes, where are they? asks Tilly. What did they do with the pebbles?

Dear me, says Gaius. I don't see them.

We had all better start looking, says Coralie. They can't have got far with those pebbles.

You're right, says Gaius. The pebbles are missing.

I'll find them, says Roo-kai.

See how useful parrots are? says Terence.

If he finds them before we do, says Tilly.

Roo-kai rises and flies to a shady spot.

Quiet-Tartus and Shorty-Tartus are relaxing there, next to their pebbles.

Hello boys! says Roo-kai. Finished your training?

Talking tactics, says Quiet-Tartus.

Very wise, seeing there's only the two of you, says Roo-kai. And who knows how many Slender Bleating Tree Frogs you'll encounter?

There will have to be rules of engagement, says Shorty-Tartus. Two against two, no interference.

You'll need someone to organise that, says Roo-kai. And make sure the rules are not broken.

Gaius, says Quiet-Tartus.

No, says Roo-kai. He will have more important business.

Terence? suggests Shorty-Tartus.

I had been thinking of myself, says Roo-kai. But I might be perceived as a predator. Terence is more likely to be seen to be neutral.

But would he be neutral? asks Quiet-Tartus.

I shall teach him the importance of being neutral, says Roo-kai. Before we get to Queensland. There is plenty of time.

Great, says Quiet-Tartus. Now, could you help us set up a running track?

No, says Roo-kai.

He flies back to Gaius and Terence.

The frogs are over there, in the shade, says Roo-kai. They would like Terence to help them set up a running track.

I'll come and help too, says Tilly.

Now for some me-time, thinks Roo-kai.

He perches on the edge of the canoe, looking for bubbles in the mud, which might indicate the presence of molluscs.

Yes! Zoom! Crack! Yum!


No comments: