Sunday, February 20, 2022

The Wriggling Lump

That was brazen, says Gaius.

Needs must, says the carpet python.

Get him out! cries Terence.

No, says Gaius. Nature is taking its course.

But look! shouts Terence. He's still alive in there!

Pardon me, says the carpet python. Frogs take some time to digest.

Terence puts his face near the wriggling lump in the carpet python.

Are you all right in there? asks Terence.

Don't make it harder, says Gaius. 

What if it was me? asks Terence.

That would be different, says Gaius. 

Would you try and get me out? asks Terence.

Yes, I would, says Gaius. The carpet python would not be able to digest you.

Would it die? asks Terence.

Undoubtedly, says Gaius.

May I intervene? says the carpet python.

No, says Terence. You've intervened already.

I would just like to point out that I would never attempt to swallow such an object, says the carpet python.

What object? asks Terence.

You, says the carpet python. You strike me as inedible.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

You're made of rock, says the carpet python. I avoid it.

Cement, says Gaius. But yes, it is wise to avoid it, and only consume living creatures.

I try to be fair, says the carpet python.

How was that FAIR? asks Terence.

It actually was fair, says Quiet-Tartus.

The wriggling lump stops wriggling, in order to listen.

I'm the fit one, says Quiet-Tartus. 

The carpet python looks at Quiet-Tartus.

Quiet-Tartus steps back.

Perhaps he shouldn't have mentioned that he was the fit one.

I won't eat you, says the carpet python. I'm going to lie over there and snooze while I digest this one.

The carpet python slides off the track and curls up under a banksia.

Let us continue our bushwalk, says Gaius.

Did we learn a lesson? asks Terence.

Yes, we learned a lesson, says Gaius.

Quiet-Tartus, hopping beside Terence, wonders what it was.


No comments: