Monday, February 14, 2022

The Dead One

Gaius is poking under a hairy acronychia.

Terence is examining the rough bark of a tall bunya pine.

Quiet-Tartus has gone off to look for gang members.

The female Screaming Tree Frog appears before him with three of her sisters.

We're coming to Queensland, says the female Screaming Tree Frog.

It's a boy gang, says Quiet-Tartus.

We know, says the female Screaming Tree Frog. We'll be the girl gang.

Go and see Gaius, says Quiet-Tartus.

We can help you find boys, says the female Screaming Tree Frog.

I'll find my own boys, says Quiet-Tartus

You won't find them easily, says one of her sisters.

I'm the leader, says Quiet-Tartus. I'll find them.

He screams loudly.

Auk Auk!

Gaius comes running.

Oh, says Gaius. It's you. But aha! Your lady friend has returned with her sisters.

I am not his lady friend, says the female Screaming Tree Frog.

Nor are we, say the sisters.

We are a girl gang, says the female Screaming Tree Frog. We'd like to go with you to Queensland.

Any particular reason? asks Gaius. 

We want to get to know the Slender Bleating Tree Frogs, says the female Screaming Tree Frog. Maybe set up a network.

Network! says Quiet-Tartus. 

Terence bursts through the undergrowth.

I found one!

He is holding a lemon yellow frog.

A male! says Gaius. Well done, Terence. Put him down, please.

Terence puts the male frog down, on the forest floor detritus.

The female Screaming Tree frogs appraise him.

He doesn't look well.

He doesn't look well, says Gaius. 

Sorry, says Terence. I might have squeezed him.

Gaius looks up at the sky.

Dear me, says Gaius. I can't deal with this now. I have an appointment at three.

Let's go, says Terence.

What about my gang member? asks Quiet-Tartus.

Let him rest, says Gaius. Stay with him. I'll be back later.

Where's your appointment? asks the female Screaming Tree frog.

At Saltwater Beach, says Gaius. A few metres into the water.

Let's all go, say the female Screaming Tree Frog. We can do some team bonding.

Yes, let's, say the sisters.

Fine by me, says Gaius. How will we do this?

We'll hop after you, says the female Screaming Tree Frog. Don't worry about the dead one.

He's not dead, says Quiet-Tartus.

Everyone looks at the dead one.

The dead one blinks weakly.

The leader is right. He's not dead.


No comments: