Saturday, February 19, 2022

To The Five Islands

What are we doing here? asks Terence.

Enjoying the rainforest, says Gaius. And looking for another male Screaming Tree Frog.

You said we had enough frogs, says Terence.

This would be a replacement, says Gaius. 

For one of the girl frogs? asks Terence.

No, for the one you damaged, says Gaius.

Two-Tartus? says Terence. He's better.

But not strong, says Gaius. It's a long way to Queensland.

You're mean, says Terence. I'm going to tell him.

He drops back to tell Two-Tartus his fate.

Guess what? says Terence. We're looking for a replacement.

I know, says Two-Tartus. I heard.

Are you sad? asks Terence.

No, says Two-Tartus. I like it here.

So much for our training, says Quiet-Tartus.

You can train, says Two-Tartus. I'll train too, until you find a replacement.

How shall we train? asks Quiet-Tartus.

Hopping is good, says Two-Tartus. 

Wait! says Gaius. Let's stick together. I suggest we take Chelsea's advice and follow the Knappinghat trail.

What a good idea, says Two-Tartus. I'm a local, so I'll be the leader.

We don't need a leader, says Quiet-Tartus.

There might be pythons, says Two-Tartus.

You can lead from behind, says Gaius. Look here's a sign post. The Knappinghat coastal walking trail to the five islands. 

Five islands! says Terence. Let's go!

I'll fly ahead, says Roo-kai. If I see any pythons, I'll signal.

I knew you'd be useful, says Terence.

They start off down the trail. 

Two-Tartus hops to the front.

Quiet-Tartus follows.

Roo-kai wheels in the sky, and signals.

Two-Tartus hops to the back.

Quiet-Tartus follows.

Roo-kai lands in front of Gaius.

A carpet python, says Roo-kai. It slithered off, no need to worry.

Did you see the five islands? asks Terence.

Yes, says Roo-kai. I saw the whole estuarine system. I saw where Knappinghat Creek runs into the sea. 

It opens and closes, says Two-Tartus.

His last words.

A long carpet python slides out from the side of the track.

Its mouth opens and closes, around the hapless Two-Tartus.


No comments: