Sunday, December 18, 2022

Acorns In Beanies

 Did I do it? asks Terence.

Yes and no, says Madame Ponty. 

What's the no? asks Terence.

Your dismount was improper, says Madame Ponty.

What's the yes? asks Terence.

You are off, says Madame Ponty. And your bird made it harder.

It was not my intention, says Roo-kai.

Belle comes running.

Is Terence okay?

No harm done, says Madame Ponty. 

I got a no and a yes, says Terence. But the yes was longer.

You deserve it, says Belle. We all saw what happened.

Don't blame Buster, says Madame Ponty. He was spooked by your bird.

Roo-kai has retreated to a tree branch.

In the circumstances, I shall tick the last box, says Madame Ponty.

Yay! says Terence.

Let's get you inside, says Belle. It's freezing.

Is it? asks Terence.

He follows her in.

Madame Ponty unsaddles Buster.

Thank you, Buster, says Madame Ponty, patting Buster.

Why are you so nice all of a sudden? asks Buster.

It's this beanie, says Madame Ponty.

I don't get it, says Buster.

Wait and see, says Madame Ponty.

She leaves Buster to ponder.

But Buster is not one to ponder.

He feels restless. He trots to the tree.

Puzzled? asks Roo-kai, from a dark space above him.

Not me, says Buster. Humans are nuts.

Nuts are more predictable, says Roo-kai.

Nuts don't wear beanies, says Buster.

Acorns do, says Roo-kai.

Buster knows about acorns.

Haha-ee! neighs Buster. Acorns! You are funny!

So, no hard feelings? asks Roo-kai.

What for? asks Buster. 

I spooked you. I shouldn't have flown over you to carry out my plan to help Terence, says Roo-kai.

It could have been worse, says Buster.

Worse? says Roo-kai.

If you flew under me or behind me I'd have kicked you, says Buster.

That's why I didn't, says Roo-kai.

You might have died, says Buster. What was the plan anyway?

To help Terence get his leg over, says Roo-kai. Using science.

You deserve the beanie, says Buster. Not Madame Ponty.

I've already got one, says Roo-kai. See?

But it's dark. Buster can't see it.

No comments: