Thursday, December 1, 2022

Buster Is Rumbled!

What's happening? asks Belle.

Do you think these are fossils? asks Madame Ponty, showing her the stone snails.

They look familiar, says Belle.

Do you know a lot about fossils? asks Madame Ponty.

Belle is about to answer when Terence notices what Madame Ponty is holding.

His curls. 

They're mine, says Terence. But you can keep them.

How did they get there? asks Belle. Did you fall off Buster when we weren't looking?

No, says Terence. I didn't fall off. Even when Buster ran straight at the tree branch.

Buster would never do that, says Madame Ponty.

He did, says Roo-kai. I saw him. But the curls were already loose under Terence's helmet.

Yes, says Terence. They were rattling.

Take off your helmet, says Belle. Let's look at the damage.

Terence takes off his helmet.

Now Belle and Madame Ponty can see his cool hairstyle, which is short on the sides.

Not bad, says Belle. It makes you look older.

I am older, says Terence. Does it make me look cool?

It makes your ears look cool, says Belle.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

Just a joke, says Belle. Of course you look cool. But I wonder how the curls came off in the first place?

I must confess that it could be my fault, says Madame Ponty. I jammed his helmet on hard.

Yes! says Terence. That's when it happened.

No harm done, says Belle. Helmets will fit him more easily. But his other hat may need taking in. 

What other hat? asks Terence.

Your sun hat, says Belle.. 

I thought I lost it, says Terence. 

Not the sun hat, says Belle. I still have it somewhere.

I don't need it, says Terence. 

You're right there, says Belle. It's quite cloudy and chilly.

Does he want the curls back? asks Madame Ponty. He should have them. He might get cold ears.

Ha ha! laughs Terence.

What's so funny? asks Madame Ponty.

What Belle said, says Terence. About cool ears. Not what you said.

But Madame Ponty is bending down again to pick up the bottom half of the pancake. 

She doesn't like seeing dropped food in her field.

This is only the bottom half of a pancake! says Madame Ponty.

Buster burps a pancakey burp and tries, too late, to alter its direction.

Sniff-sniff! Madame Ponty sniffs it.

Buster is rumbled! 


No comments: