Thursday, December 22, 2022

List Of B

We'd better be going, says Saint Maclou.

Yes, says Belle. Terence and I are off to Paris in the morning.

Yay! says Terence. 

Bon voyage, says Madame Ponty. 

Thank you for the fish stew, says Saint Méen. And thank you for returning our beanie.

Thank you for sharing your baked potatoes, says Madame Ponty.

Indeed, says Saint Méen. We find potatoes are always a welcome addition.

Not at your house, says Terence.

Terence! says Belle.

They ONLY eat potatoes, says Terence.

True, says Saint Méen.

Perhaps you'd care to join me and Buster at Christmas, says Madame Ponty. I'll be cooking a plant-based turkey breast with all the trimmings.

The saints look alarmed,

Thank you for the offer, says Saint Méen, but, on Christmas day, we saints may be otherwise...

When's Christmas? says Terence.

Soon, says Belle.

Do I get a present? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Belle. 

I meant, presents, says Terence. 

One present, says Belle.

They take leave of Madame Ponty and walk back to the saints' cottage.

I think I'll turn in now, says Belle. 

We'll sit up for a while, says Saint Méen. 

Me too, says Terence. I have to make a list of presents.

Saint Maclou finds him a pencil.

Terence thinks.

The saints sit at the kitchen table, drinking a bedtime glass of water.

Plant-based turkey! says Saint Maclou. 

Is there such a thing? asks Saint Méen.

Probably made with tofu or rice, says Saint Maclou. And possibly onion.

Makes a change from potato, says Saint Méen.

Marginal, says Saint Maclou.

She probably knew we wouldn't accept, says Saint Méen.

She probably did, says Saint Maclou. Did you hear that horse fart?

A very theatrical horse fart, says Saint Méen.

I agree, says Saint Maclou. I can't help thinking that Buster didn't eat the whole beanie...

The saints drone on, adding to their conspiracy theory. 

It is difficult for Terence to concentrate on his list of desirable presents.

Not to mention that writing is hard.

In fact B is the only letter he can do properly.

He starts the list.

B

Roo-kai looks over his shoulder.

Is this your Christmas list? asks Roo-kai.

This is how far I've got, saysTerence. 

What's the B for? asks Roo-kai.

You tell me, says Terence.

Bike, boat, ball, book? suggests Roo-kai. 

Skateboard? suggests Terence.

That starts with S, says Roo-kai.

Terence is disappointed.


No comments: