Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Chic And Retro With Buzz

Roo-kai knocks on Madame Ponty's door.

The door opens.

You again, says Madame Ponty.

How did you recognise me? asks Roo-kai.

Your thin orange legs, says Madame Ponty. 

So much for my disguise, says Roo-kai.

Indeed. But the hat is effective, says Madame Ponty. And I see that you carry a spare.

Not a spare, says Roo-kai. This is a delivery.

For Buster? asks Madame Ponty.

For you, says Roo-kai.

I haven't ordered a holey red beanie, says Madame Ponty.

Then it must be a gift, says Roo-kai.

Who is the sender? asks Madame Ponty.

I would need to check the paperwork, says Roo-kai.

Never mind, says Madame Ponty. Come in. 

Very kind, says Roo-kai.

He enters the vestibule.

Give me the beanie, says Madame Ponty. I'll try it on. It will make me look chic and retro.

She takes the beanie into her bedroom.

Roo-kai wonders if he has time to enter her office and unlatch a window.

He can hear Madame Ponty trying the hat on.

Hmm. Non! Ahh! Très bien. Buzzz! Ooh! Qu'est que c'est?

She seems to be trying variations. Positioning and repositioning the holes. And fiddling with the buzz.

He dashes into the office, past the desk with its pile of certificates, and across to the window.

He unlatches the window, leaving it closed.

He dashes back to the vestibule where Madame Ponty left him.

She comes out, in the red holey hat, looking, if not chic, certainly retro.

Tell the saints I am honoured to receive this, says Madame Ponty. I have dreamed of owning one of their old beanies. And this one still has plenty of buzz.

Roo-kai bows, and turns to leave.

Plenty of buzz. He wonders if the beanie he is wearing has any buzz left. 

He pulls it down till his beak pokes through one of the holes, and hears a faint buzzing sound. 

Bingo! It does!


No comments: