Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Bamboozled With Reason

 Saint Méen approaches Buster, who is still standing under the tree.

What now? says Buster.

I don't suppose you found a red beanie? asks Saint Méen.

Don't you? says Buster.

This is not the rude answer Saint Méen was expecting.

Did you? asks Saint Méen.

No, says Buster. Was it Roo-kai's or Madame Ponty's?

Why do you use the past tense? asks Saint Méen.

I'm assuming you've lost it, says Buster.

But it must still exist. says Saint Méen. Unless you have found it and eaten it.

Even then, says Buster, it must still exist. I used the past tense for a different reason.

Aha! says Saint Méen. I am glad to know you didn't eat it. What was the reason?

Too woolly, says Buster. And it smelled of fish stew.

I meant the reason for using past tense, says Saint Méen. But thanks for the clue.

A useless clue, says Buster. Both beanies had the same odour.

How annoying, says Saint Méen. When the beanies have been recovered, I must remember to ask Maclou to wash them.

Does he do the washing? asks Buster. What do you do?

The ironing, says Saint Méen. Though it's none of your business.

Let's say I had a nibble, says Buster.

Of the beanie? says Saint Méen.

Nzhhhh! neighs Buster (or was it a buzz?)

Wait! says Saint Méen. You HAVE eaten it! You have tried to bamboozle me with reason, but the buzz gives away your misdemeanour.

Okay, says Buster. Remind me next time not to bother with reason.

I'll remind you next time not to eat used beanies, says Saint Méen. Especially saints' ones.

What will happen? asks Buster. Should I be afraid?

You will find yourself acting kindly towards others, says Saint Méen.

Even if I don't want to? asks Buster.

Especially then, says Saint Méen. And ever after, you will retain a kind disposition.

Buster had not thought he might lose control of his disposition 

Now he's been told that he has.

Saint Méen walks away thinking that sometimes a lie is excusable, if the results are positive.

Buster watches him go.

Saint Méen stumbles, having stepped awkwardly over a rabbit hole.

Ha ha! thinks Buster, and then (bothering, after all, to use reason), Hooray!


No comments: