Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Halo Power

Did it work? asks Terence, when Roo-kai returns.

Yes, says Roo-kai.

How? asks Terence.

The window to Madame Ponty's office is unlatched. says Roo-kai. That means we can easily get in this evening.

Yay! says Terence.

Saint Méen comes outside.

So! says Saint Méen. The beanie was for Roo-kai. That was thoughtful, Terence.

Yes, says Terence.

Do remember to put it back in the cellar, when you come in, says Saint Méen.

Is it valuable? asks Roo-kai.

Let's just say, I wouldn't like it to fall into the wrong hands, says Saint Méen. You may have noticed it still has some buzz left.

Yes, says Roo-kai. I did notice.

Not very powerful, of course, says Saint Méen. The real power resides in our haloes.

I see, says Roo-kai. May I keep it until later this evening?

Certainly, says Saint Méen. Just don't try anything silly.

He goes back inside.

Woo! says Terence. He doesn't know I took TWO beanies.

Lucky you didn't spill the beans, says Roo-kai. 

The beanies? asks Terence.

The information, says Roo-kai. You kept quiet. That was spy-like.

Now what? asks Terence.

We wait for tonight, says Roo-kai. 

Okay, says Terence. While we're waiting, tell me what happened.

She knew it was me, says Roo-kai. Because of my thin orange legs.

We forgot about those, says Terence.

Yes we forgot about those, says Roo-kai. But then I told her about the delivery.

Did she want it? asks Terence.

She wanted it, says Roo-kai. She went to try it on in her bedroom, and that's when I ran into her office and unlatched the window.

That was brave, says Terence. 

I know, says Roo-kai.

Hey, wait! says Terence. If you were in her office, why didn't you steal a certificate?

Am I your parrot? asks Roo-kai.

What a dumb question.

Yes, says Terence.

So I do what's best for you, says Roo-kai.

The red beanie buzzes softly, who knows for what reason.

I had to think quickly, continues Roo-kai. I knew you were looking forward to breaking into the office and stealing the certificate tonight, so I simply unlatched the window. Tonight we shall have an adventure.

Buzz! goes the beanie.

But I might not wear this, says Roo-kai.


No comments: