Sunday, December 25, 2022

Blue Swirl Wheels

Boxing Day. Adelaide airport. A hot day.

Sweezus and Arthur are waiting at International Arrivals.

Sweezus is holding a skateboard-shaped parcel.

There they are, says Arthur.

Terence runs forward and wraps his cement arms round Sweezus's knees.

Hey, little buddy! says Sweezus. You look different.

I lost my side curls, says Terence. 

Makes you look older, says Sweezus. 

I know, says Terence. And I can ride a pony. And I don't even fall off.

And that was before he was given the gift of balance, says Belle.

Cool, says Sweezus.

The only trouble is, says Terence, I might be getting lighter.

I'm sure you're not getting lighter, says Belle. 

Why does he think that? asks Sweezus.

Some kid on the plane told him he only had the gift of balance because he'd got lighter, says Belle.

No way, says Sweezus. I'd prove it by lifting him, if I wasn't holding this parcel.

Give it to Arthur, says Belle.

Can't he just open it? says Arthur. And did you remember my bike?

Yes, says Belle. My bike and your bike should be on the baggage carousel shortly.

I'll head over there, says Arthur. 

Can I open my present? asks Terence.

You sure can, says Belle.

Terence rips off the paper. It's a skateboard.

A super awesome one. With blue swirl wheels, a toucan, a dolphin, a turtle, and palm trees.

More turtles underneath.

Wow! says Belle. That's a good one.

Gold Coast Majestic, says Sweezus. Real Canadian maple. 

How much? asks Belle.

Terence doesn't wait to hear the answer. He is off on his skateboard.

Zoom! Terence cuts through the crowd of people heading towards the baggage carousel.

He is looking for Arthur.

Hey! Arthur! See me!

He zooms around Arthur, narrowly missing the toes of the person beside him. 

The baggage carousel is quite low. There are items on it

But....

Can't you jump things on skateboards?


No comments: