Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Blind Corners

 Katherine and Nerida leave Greedy in the hotel room, and go shopping.

They go to a camping shop, and look at small tents.

Going camping? asks the assistant. 

Yes, says Katherine. In Kroombit Tops National Park.

We're looking for Kroombit Tinker frogs, says Nerida.

Aren't they extinct? asks the assistant.

No, says Katherine. Some that were bred in captivity have been released lately.

That's cool, says the assistant. You must really like camping.

I do not, says Katherine. 

Then you must, says the assistant, looking at Nerida.

I've never done it, says Nerida. But I really like frogs.

Good luck then, says the assistant. Do you want a tent each?

Four tents, says Katherine. There are four of us.

And Terence, says Nerida.

So, five, says the assistant. I hope you have a large vehicle.

We'll be going by bus, says Katherine.

There is no bus, says the assistant. It's four wheel drive only. Narrow unsealed roads and lots of blind corners.

That could be a problem, says Nerida. 

Gaius will have to hire a four wheel drive vehicle, says Katherine. I'll call him.

Gaius is in the Gladstone Tourist Information office, enquiring about buses.

Hello, Gaius? says Katherine.

I've just learned that there are no buses, says Katherine.

So have I, says Gaius. We'll have to hire a four wheel drive vehicle.

Yes, says Katherine. Where can we do that?

I'll find out, says Gaius.

I'm buying us tents, says Katherine. One each. I'm about to pay for them now.

Luxury indeed, says Gaius. See you later.

Katherine takes out her wallet.

Where is her credit card? Drat! Arthur still has it.

I'll have to come back, says Katherine to the assistant. Hold those tents for me.

Okay, says the assistant.

Gaius has gone to the Budget car hire business near the Tourist Information Centre and is hiring a four wheel drive vehicle.

Any one will do, says Gaius. As long as it's big enough for four people.

He is about to pay for a week's hire of a 4x4 Wagon when he remembers that Arthur still has his credit card.

He calls Katherine.

And learns that she has the same problem.

And where is Arthur?

He and Terence went down to the beach, says Nerida. 

Curses! says Gaius. Which one?

Call him, says Nerida.

But Arthur doesn't answer.

Terence does.

Hello, says Terence. This is me. 

Terence, where is Arthur? asks Gaius.

Swimming, says Terence. 

Can you attract his attention? asks Gaius. 

Yes, says Terence. 

He has our credit cards, says Gaius. And neither Katherine nor I can purchase anything.

Woo! says Terence. I'll run into the water and get him.

Crackle.

The call ends.

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. I've just sent Terence into the sea!


No comments: