Sunday, March 24, 2024

Reality Rubs

Katherine and Nerida arrive at Barney Point Beach.

Nerida is wearing a swimsuit.

Did Arthur have the credit cards? asks Katherine.

Yes, says Gaius. And he left them with Terence.

And guess what? says Terence.

You lost them, says Katherine.

No, Arthur's reality rubbed off, says Terence.

Reliability, says Gaius. Yes, Terence was in charge of our credit cards, while Arthur went swimming.

Is he still swimming? asks Nerida.

I suppose so, says Gaius. But I wouldn't advise you to join him. He tends to swim out too far.

I'll just swim till I see him, says Nerida. Then I'll attract his attention.

Off you go then, says Katherine.

Nerida heads for the sea.

She can see someone way out there. It has to be Arthur.

She swims out, in his direction.

I suppose I'll have to wait for her, says Katherine. Oh well, there are worse things.

She puts on a hat, and sits down beside Terence.

I'll go and pay for the hire of our car, says Gaius. Here's your credit card.

He goes, leaving Katherine with Terence and the kid.

My parents don't have credit cards, says the kid. 

How do they manage? asks Katherine.

They've got payment apps on their phones, says the kid.

Perhaps I should get one, says Katherine. But then, what if...

Look! cries Terence. Nerida's gone under the water.

Maybe a shark got her, says the kid. Or a jelly. 

She wouldn't be scared of a jelly, says Terence,

She should be, says the kid. They have poisonous tentacles!

I can see her! says Katherine. She's swum all the way out to Arthur.

Katherine is right. Nerida has swum all the way out to Arthur.

And now she is wishing she hadn't.

No comments: