Friday, March 22, 2024

No Problem, Meaning

Where's my phone? asks Arthur.

I put it down, says Terence.

Whereabouts? asks Arthur.

Where I was, says Terence.

You should retrace your footsteps, says the kid, who is still standing there.

Okay, says Terence. This is what they look like.

He does a small dance in the sand.

That doesn't help much, says Arthur.

Do two steps and stop, says the kid.

Terence does two steps and stops

Now we need to find a trail of footsteps like these, says the kid.

Are you a detective? asks Terence.

Yes, says the kid, although he actually isn't.

Arthur spots a trail of Terence's footprints. 

He sprints up to the place where they stop. 

Cool. It's also the place where his phone is.

He picks up his phone.

Gaius is talking.

Anyone? says Gaius. Please answer!

Hey, says Arthur. It's me. I've been swimming.

I fear I've sent Terence into the sea, says Gaius. 

He's out now, says Arthur. He didn't get far.

And do you have our credit cards? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Arthur. In my pocket. What has it stopped you from buying?

You have delayed Katherine from purchasing tents, and me from hiring a four wheel drive vehicle, says Gaius. But that can now be resolved. Where are you?

Barney's Point Beach, says Arthur. It's pretty lame, but it's the closest.

We shall arrive shortly, says Gaius. Stay where you are, Arthur.

I might go swimming again, says Arthur.

Don't! says Gaius. Not till we get there.

If I do, I'll leave the credit cards with Terence, says Arthur.

Please don't, says Gaius. His new shorts have no pockets.

Not a problem, says Arthur.

Which Gaius takes to mean that Arthur will delay going swimming.

But Arthur may have meant something different.


No comments: