Saturday, March 23, 2024

What Reliability Looks Like

Pity your shorts don't have pockets, says Arthur.

They have eyes, says Terence. 

But nowhere to keep credit cards, says Arthur.

I've got pockets, says the kid.

How long are you staying? asks Arthur.

All day, says the kid.

Why do you care? asks Terence.

Unfinished business, says Arthur.

Do you want to go swimming again? asks the kid.

Yes, says Arthur. But our friends are coming to pick up their credit cards.

I'll hold them, says Terence.

Can I trust you? asks Arthur.

Yes, says Terence. You can.

Arthur gives Terence the cards and heads for the water.

Want me to put them in my pocket? asks the kid.

No, says Terence. I have to hold them.

What if you drop them? asks the kid.

I won't drop them, says Terence. I've got a claw.

He shows him his claw.

Awesome claw! says the kid. Where did you get it?

From my blood brother, says Terence. And he's got my finger.

Is he a bird? asks the kid.

Yes, says Terence. Baby BB.

Was it a cement finger? asks the kid.

Of course it was, says Terence. It was mine.

The bird got a bad deal, says the kid.

No, he wanted it, says Terence.

Perhaps it is time to change the subject.

I used to live on a palace, says Terence.

Like a pigeon? asks the kid.

No way, says Terence. But I had to keep still all the time.

What happened if you didn't? asks the kid.

I got whacked by Saint Joseph, says Terence. 

What was he doing up there? asks the kid.

Making furniture, says Terence.

So HE must have been moving, says the kid. Making furniture, and whacking.

It was his job, says Terence.

You should've complained, says the kid.

Terence is about to explain why it was no use complaining when Gaius arrives.

Gaius looks around for Arthur. Where are the credit cards?

I've got them, says Terence. 

So you have. Well I never! says Gaius. Some of Arthur's reliability must have rubbed off on you.

Terence wonders what Arthur's reliability looks like.


No comments: