Thursday, March 7, 2024

Surprise Ending

You'd better go back to your seat, says Nerida. The trolley is coming.

Okay, says Terence.

He takes Greedy with him, and goes back to Katherine and Gaius.

Guess what, says Terence. I've been making a poem.

About Greedy? asks Katherine.

Yes, says Terence, Greedy has died it wasn't my fault she broke the pencils and then a few nice things.

What else did she break? asks Gaius.

Nothing, says Terence.

I suppose that's a nice thing, says Katherine.

Yes BUT, says Terence, Nerida said we should fix her with plasters.

Even nicer, says Katherine.

But then Greedy wouldn't be dead, says Terence. Remember what my first line was?

Greedy has died, says Katherine.

See? says Terence. 

You can overcome that with a surprise ending, says Katherine. Greedy is resurrected. Not that I believe in such things.

Surprise endings, says Terence. 

Resurrections, says Katherine. 

Tea, coffee, juice, water, snacks? asks a flight attendant, stopping by with a trolley. What would the liitle boy like?

No surprise ending, says Terence.

Oh dear, I should hope not, says the flight attendant, smiling.

A red drink, please, says Katherine. And have you got any plasters? 

I could get you some, says the flight attendant, Is the little boy injured?

No, says Terence. It's Greedy ( he waves Greedy at the flight attendant). But she died. 

Is that your toy? asks the flight attendant. How CUTE! A pink rubber glove with a face. We can't let it DIE. Would you like me to take it and fix it?

No, says Terence, because my poem would be...

But she has taken possession of Greedy, and given Terence a red drink in exchange.

Organic beetroot juice with ginger. 

A surprise ending.

Terence was expecting Ribena.


No comments: