Monday, March 18, 2024

Pocket Of Darkness

 Cabin crew, prepare for landing, says the captain.

That was fast, says Katherine. I've only just finished my cup of tea.

Yes, it's a short hop, says Gaius. He gathers his papers.

You should have used Nerida's stapler, says Katherine.

I did, as you know, says Gaius. And I stapled some pages out of order, as a consequence of which I made use of the staple remover. What a business! And now one or two pages seem to be missing.

They aren't missing. I have them, says Katherine.

Excellent, says Gaius. Where are they?

In my handbag, says Katherine. Stuck together.

With a staple? asks Gaius.

No, says Katherine. With protein salad.

Curses, says Gaius. I blame myself. I ordered that salad.

And I ate it, says Katherine. So I am also to blame. But don't fret. When we land I'll take the papers into the ladies, and wet them.

Gaius is shocked, for a moment.

With tap water, says Katherine. 

They fasten their seat belts for landing.

A few rows forward, Nerida, Terence and Arthur also fasten their seat belts.

The flight attendant comes by, to check.

Don't forget your toy this time, says the flight attendant, to Terence.

What toy? asks Terence.

She means Greedy, says Nerida. Where is she?

I'm sitting on her, says Terence.

Why? asks Nerida.

Because these shorts don't have a pocket, says Terence. 

Maybe Arthur has a pocket, says Nerida. 

Most boardshorts have a pocket, says Arthur. 

He feels for a pocket. Yes, there's a side pocket. 

He unzips it. Feels inside.

Key leash. Drain hole. A great pocket

Can Greedy go in it? asks Terence.

Okay, says Arthur.

At least she won't get left behind, says Nerida.

Terence wriggles Greedy out from underneath him.

He hands Greedy to Arthur. 

Arthur shoves Greedy into his pocket and zips it.

It's dark in the pocket. The boardshorts are black, with rust stains (or gum blossoms).

The plane begins its descent into Gladstone.

Greedy is reminded of Terence's poem:

"Greedy has died....."


No comments: