The Virgin is surprised to find Normal bear in her bowl.
Are you all right, dear? asks the Virgin.
Normal bear is surprised too. He says nothing.
Pencil! cries Little Fuzzball.
Did he land on your pencil? asks the Virgin.
Handbag, says Little Fuzzball.
Normal bear looks underneath himself.
Yes, a handbag. And he's seen it before.
Is it broken? asks the Virgin.
Little Fuzzball starts crying.
Snuff-snuff.
Holy Spitball flies down.
My fault, says Holy Spitball. He was heavier than I expected. When he jerked I let go of the string.
Jerk! says Little Fuzzball.
I don't like you saying words like that, says the Virgin.
Little Fuzzball snuffs harder.
Did my bear land on your baby? asks Holy Spitball.
No, but it was close, says the Virgin. He may have damaged the handbag.
I'll have it fixed, says Holy Spitball. It's the least I can do.
Very kind, says the Virgin.
I'll give it to Prong, says Holy Spitball. She has friends down below.
I know, says the Virgin. But where is she?
She must have flown down to tell them what's happened, says Holy Spitball.
She's very good, says the Virgin.
Isn't she, agrees Holy Spitball. And she thought up the rescue.
And my happy existence, thinks Normal. But she got that part wrong.
Come on bear, says Holy Spitball.
He gathers up Normal.
Oh, wait, says Holy Spitball. I'll need that string unthreaded.
The hairnet lies in the bowl, still threaded with string.
Easily done, says the Virgin.
She pulls the string through, and gives it to Holy Spitball.
Are you planning to keep him tied up? asks the Virgin.
Not at all. says Holy Spitball. This string, if you look at it, is a proper lasso. When this end is tied round his waist, he can use the lasso to catch and swing between branches.
Like a monkey? says the Virgin.
Exactly, says Holy Spitball. You'd better watch out!
I once had a bigger baby, says the Virgin. He was always up to mischief.
I remember that infant, says Holy Spitball.
I can't say I miss him, says the Virgin. But I sometimes wonder where he is now......
No comments:
Post a Comment