Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Affection

All is chaos in the Velosophy office. Belle et Bonne is Skyping with The VeloDrone, who is in Brussels.

Belle et Bonne: O papa! Did you hurt yourself? Let me see your bruises!

The VeloDrone: Calm yourself, my dear, I am perfectly alright. They are very small bruises. But David came a nasty cropper on the cobblestones. He's going to have to spend the day in bed.

Belle et Bonne: I knew I shouldn't have let you go! You're both too old to be riding in the Tour De France!

The VeloDrone: Nonsense my pet! It takes more than a catastrophic pile-up to get the better of Team Philosophe ! Now tell me, how are things going in the office ? Have you and Madam Denis found more lady philosophers?

Belle et Bonne: Oh yes, papa. Marie has made a list. Let me see, we have Hypatia of Alexandria, Teresa of Avila, Hildegard of Bingen, Mary Wollestonecroft, Margaret Cavendish, George Eliot, Ayn Rand, Simone de Beauvoir......

The VeloDrone: Did you say Simone de Beauvoir?

Belle et Bonne: Yes, papa.

The VeloDrone: What a coincidence! I saw her just this morning. She's here with Jean Paul Sartre, who is riding with our team. Or should I say, he was....

Belle et Bonne: Did he come a cropper as well?

The VeloDrone: Unfortunately, yes.

Belle et Bonne: And is Simone de Beauvoir looking after him?

The VeloDrone: Yes dear. She's being very kind to David too. And me.

Belle et Bonne: Well Papa, I have just decided something.

The VeloDrone: What's that?

Belle et Bonne: I'm coming over.

No comments: