Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Beaver

Belle et Bonne arrived in Cambrai very early in the morning. She burst into the hotel room where The VeloDrone, Le Bon David, Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir were finishing their breakfast.

What's that horrible smell? she demanded.

Hello my dear, said The VeloDrone. How lovely to see you. Let me introduce you to Simone de Beauvoir. She has been looking after us splendidly.

Hello, said Belle et Bonne, in the direction of Simone De Beauvoir. Nice to meet you.

She sniffed pointedly. Whatever is it, that smell?

Hello, Belle et Bonne, smiled Simone de Beauvoir. Yes, it is a horrid smell, is it not? I have been treating the bruises of your papa, and David and mon petit Jean Paul, with this Chinese medicine which I myself use for everything including headaches and sore throats.

Uggh! said Belle et Bonne. All three of them smell disgusting.

Never mind, dear Belle et Bonne, said Le Bon David. We shall no doubt be riding in our usual position at the back of the peloton.

Oh, hello Uncle David! said Belle et Bonne. How are you feeling today?

Uncle David! exclaimed Jean Paul Sartre, staring at Le Bon David. Why does she call you Uncle David?

Never mind, said Le Bon David. It's a long story. I'm not really her uncle, he added hastily.

No, he isn't, said Belle et Bonne. I've sworn to call him Uncle David until he learns to respect the intelligence of women.

Simone de Beauvoir looked up from her pot of Chinese embrocation.

He does not respect the intelligence of women?

Of course I do, blustered Le Bon David. It's just a little joke between us.

Aha! I see. said Simone de Beauvoir. Just as I call Jean Paul mon petit homme, and he calls me the Beaver.

No comments: