Friday, July 16, 2010

Diderot

Unknown to Belle et Bonne and Simone de Beauvoir, Denis Diderot was riding directly behind them.

Denis Diderot: Excuse me ladies! I could not help hearing my name mentioned! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Denis Diderot, a friend of your papa, mademoiselle, and the author of the book you are reading, madame.

Simone de Beauvoir: I am not madame.

Denis Diderot: Then you must excuse me.

Simone de Beauvoir: Certainly. An understandable mistake. Many people think Jean Paul and I are married.

Denis Diderot: Jean Paul ? I don't know him. No, I thought you were the young lady's mother.

Simone de Beauvoir: Hmph!

Belle et Bonne: But, Monsieur Diderot, what are you doing here?

Denis Diderot: I am a backup rider for Team Encyclopedie. I don't expect to have very much to do, frankly. They are not really trying to win.

Belle et Bonne; Oh, what bad sports they must be. Team Philosophe always try their very best to win, even though they are all past their prime.

Simone de Beauvoir: Except perhaps for my petit Jean Paul.

Belle et Bonne: Oh yes, except perhaps for him.

Denis Diderot: Well madame, er, mademoiselle, how are you enjoying my novel, The Nun?

Simone de Beauvoir: It is certainly a page turner. But I should like to reserve my judgement until I have finished it. I have reason to believe there will be a surprise.

Denis Diderot: Indeed? What makes you think so?

Simone de Beauvoir: The introduction hints at it.

Denis Diderot: Introduction! What introduction? I deliberately placed my preface at the end!

Simone de Beauvoir: I know. But the modern edition comes with an introduction, which reveals what is in the preface. Do not worry, monsieur, I stopped reading it as soon as I realised. Now, would you like a spinach triangle?

Belle et Bonne: Yes, would you? Go on. We're both going to have one.

No comments: