Monday, July 26, 2010

Three Weeks

Aha! said Pliny the Elder. The Tour de France is finished. What shall we do next?

I don't know about you, I said, but I am going to catch up on all the things that have happened at home in the last three weeks.

But that might take three weeks, said Pliny.

No, it won't, I said. Watch this:

Thursday: mum doesn't like her chickenless caesar salad at the library
Friday: photograph pineapple in bicycle helmet
Saturday: replace bedroom curtain which has mysterious rents
Sunday: daughter deactivates twitter account; giant saucer placed under mum's tree
Monday: daughter deactivates facebook account; I realise we are still nonvirtual friends
Tuesday: Qi Long looks at me when I say hello to him several times
Wednesday: think about tomorrow
Thursday: fall over dramatically on the way to a lecture, graze knee
Friday: headache
Saturday: election called; I hope Julia wins!
Sunday: daughter returns from London in shorts
Monday: washing and ironing
Tuesday: Li Feng gives me two pieces of warmed up cake to eat
Wednesday: IKEA
Thursday: Pi Approximation Day: watch movie Pi and eat pies at the science exchange
Friday: very cold day.
Saturday: put a rubber band round mum's curtain rod, debate with her its merits as marker
Sunday: Masterchef full of preposterous drama; Adam wins

There, Pliny, I said. That's what happened. Is there anything you would like me to elaborate upon?

Pliny looked perplexed.

What's IKEA? he said.

No comments: