Friday, July 9, 2010

The Life Saver

Team Philosophe is riding in the middle of the main peloton. But they are beginning to flag.

The VeloDrone: Hey Jean Paul! How about you go to the back and pick us up some drinks and snacks?

Le Bon David: Oh, yes please!

Jean Paul Sartre: Why me?

The VeloDrone: That's a funny attitude for an existentialist!

Jean Paul Sartre: I am what I am.

The VeloDrone (mimicking): I yam what I yam.

Le Bon David: Hee hee! Popeye the Sailorman ! Off you go, and bring us back some spinach!

Jean Paul Sartre ( huffily): I'm going, but I may be quite some time.

(He drops back).

The VeloDrone: I am what I am indeed! I can't help thinking he's grown a little lazy.

Le Bon David: Bone lazy. But, as he would say, " Existence precedes essence".

The VeloDrone: And what would he mean by that?

Le Bon David: Yes, interesting. What would he mean by that? Perhaps he would mean that once, he wasn't lazy. Then gradually, he became a person who was, in essence, lazy.

The VeloDrone: As opposed to what?

Le Bon David: Being born lazy I suppose. And staying lazy.

The VeloDrone: No, no. I thought existentialism was all about choosing your course in life, being the master of your own destiny, and so on.

Le Bon David: Yes it is, but not if you choose to be lazy.

(They hear the sound of puffing, and smell the unmistakeable smell of spinach).

The VeloDrone: Good heavens! He's back already!

Le Bon David: Jean Paul! Good man! You're a life saver!

No comments: