Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Colour Question

The women sped up. They intended to catch up with Le Bon David and ask him his opinion on the colour question. As they pedalled they discussed how they might frame the question so as not to discompose the philosopher.

Simone de Beauvoir: It's easy really. The question can be framed thus: Can colour exist in the absence of light?

Belle et Bonne: Why yes! That's what we'll ask him.

It was lucky that the problem was so easily settled, because at that moment they needed to direct their attention towards the riders in front who were involved in a spill.

Simone de Beauvoir: Goodness me! It's Lance Armstrong! He has fallen off his bicycle! That's a piece of luck for Team Philosophe! Hurry up, Belle et Bonne!

They soon caught up with Team Philosophe, who were not as far advanced as Simone and Belle had supposed them to be.

Belle et Bonne: Hello, team! Guess what? Lance Armstrong has fallen off his bicycle!

The VeloDrone (glumly) : So has Cadel Evans, but he has got back on his bicycle and shot past us with his rainbow jersey all in tatters. I won't be surprised if he ends up wearing the yellow jersey at the end of the day.

Jean Paul Sartre: Hello Simone! No wonder you've caught up with us. We're pooped!

Simone de Beauvoir: Courage, mon petit !

Belle et Bonne: Uncle David! I have a philosophical question for you.

Le Bon David: My dear! I have a philosophical question for you too. Is this the time to be asking me a philosophical question, when my legs feel like jellyfish tentacles?

Belle et Bonne: Oh no. I'm so sorry, Uncle David. How thoughtless of me! Tomorrow is a rest day and my question must wait until then.

No comments: