Friday, January 14, 2011

Day or Night?

Minute's up! said the Geranium. Which are more numerous, the living or the dead?

Am I guessing the answer, or what the Gymnosophist said? I asked.

What he said, said the Geranium. Which?

The living, I said. Because the dead don't count.

Don't exist, corrected the Geranium.

No, I said, they do exist, otherwise why are plots in graveyards in short supply? After fifty years they dig you up, didn't you know?

Tell me about it, said the Geranium.

Sorry I forgot you were a Geranium. But my point is, it's a play on words. The dead don't count. Get it?

Well that's not the translation I read, said the Geranium.

But do you agree it makes more sense? I asked. And Alexander would have liked it?

I do agree, said the Geranium. But at this rate it is going to take us all afternoon to get through the ten questions. Shall I tell you the second one?

Go on.

The second Gymnosophist was asked whether the earth or the sea produce larger animals.

What did he answer?

The earth, because the sea is but part of the earth.

Very good. And the third?

Which animal is the most cunning?

The fox?

No! The Gymnosophist answered that it was the one that man had not yet discovered.

Oh ! Alexander would have liked that!

Yes, he did. Next he asked the fourth Gymnosophist why he supported the revolt. And he replied that he wished to either live nobly or die nobly.

Another tick from Alexander for that answer, I bet! and the fifth?

The fifth is my favourite , said the Geranium. Which is older, day or night?

Wow! I said, admiringly. Great question!

No comments: