Friday, January 7, 2011

Taprobane

Pliny the Elder was home alone. It was hot. He wandered about the house idly looking for something to read.

His eye fell upon my copy of his Natural History.

I wonder where she's up to? he muttered to himself. I'll just open it up at the bookmark and see.

He opened the book at the bookmark, which was at page 68.

Taprobane! he said, his eyes misting over with pleasure. She'll like this section. This is where I introduce the Chinese.

He skimmed over the familiar lines.

They weren't as familiar as he remembered. Oh dear! he said to himself. I got that a bit wrong. She'll be needling me about it tomorrow. What can I do to prevent it?

He thought for a while.

I know, he said. I'll make up a comical riddle.

He sat down at a table with his fish-topped pencil, and began to compose.

Here is a riddle just for you
My hair is gold, my eyes are blue

A good rhyme, he said. That is a very good start. I think I'll have something to eat now, then finish it off after lunch.

No comments: