Monday, January 3, 2011

Proposition Seven

You can't disagree with Proposition Seven, Professor Freud, said Irma. You're always telling Emma and me to shut up.

Whatever are you talking about? asked Professor Freud.

When I was suggesting how the fish and the bird could, you know, and you wouldn't let me say it.

That was firstly because of your age, said Professor Freud, and secondly because an icecream shop is hardly the place for speaking of the things we cannot speak about.

Well, where is? asked Irma.

My consulting rooms of course, said Professor Freud. There, for a fee, one may speak of anything.

Professor Freud, said Wittgenstein crossly, Proposition Seven does not refer to things of a sexual nature.

Pardon me, said Professor Freud, but you would be surprised how many things are of a sexual nature, that are not recognised as such.

No, said Wittgenstein. I would not. But my proposition is a general philosophical one and I will not have it sullied. It is to do with statements that make sense and statements that do not.

Oh, I get it, said Irma. You mean, there's no point debating a nonsense.

Exactly right, clever girl, said Wittgenstein, looking triumphantly at Professor Freud.

But what's a nonsense ? asked Emma.

All of this discussion is a nonsense! said Saint Nicholas, getting up. Come on Ludwig, time to whisk ourselves off.

Tch! said Professor Freud. Gentlemen, please! Not in front of the girls!

No comments: